Gospel Choir Assistant Professor
|Institution Type:||College / University|
|Location:||California, United States|
California State University, Fresno
College of Social Sciences
Vacancy # 13403
California State University, Fresno is an engaged University. We focus on broadening students intellectual horizons, fostering lifelong learning skills, developing the leaders of tomorrow, promoting community involvement, and instilling an appreciation of world cultures. We nurture cultural competence by celebrating the rich diversity of the campus community and welcoming the participation of all. Members of the University community are expected to work effectively with faculty, staff and students from diverse ethnic, cultural and socioeconomic backgrounds. For information on the Universitys commitment and dedication to creating a university known for its integrity, civility, equity, respect and ethical behavior, please visit: http://www.fresnostate.edu/academics/diversity
- Available for Academic Year: 2018/2019.
- Fresno State has been recognized as a Hispanic-Serving Institution (HSI); an Asian American/Native American/Pacific Islander-Serving Institution (AANAPISI); and has been designated to the Community Engagement Classification by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching.
- Faculty members gain a clear path to tenure through the Universitys Probationary Plan Process.
- Salary placement depends upon academic preparation and professional experience.
- California State University, Fresno is a vibrant and growing campus. When necessary, the University may decide to make more than one faculty appointment from a single search.
The Africana Studies Program in the College of Social Sciences at California State University, Fresno is accepting applications for a tenure-track position at the rank of Assistant Professor with a Fall 2018 start date. Teaching responsibilities include teaching courses in Africana Studies and will also include teaching and/or developing cross-listed courses both within and outside the College. The successful candidate will teach undergraduate students in a 4/4 load. The teaching load is typically reduced during the first two years of the appointment, with competitive course releases available going forward. The successful candidate will maintain a commitment to teaching excellence, publishing, student advising, and engaging in university and community service.
The Africana Studies Program (AFRS) at California State University, Fresno is especially interested in candidates whose scholarship covers areas of the History and Culture of Gospel and/or Black Music. We seek a generalist with a research emphasis in the history and culture of Gospel and/or Black Music that includes but is not limited to the following areas: slave songs, gospel, spirituals, jazz, blues, rhythm and blues, soul, hip hop, and opera. Specific courses that the successful candidate may teach include: African American Music, the Gospel Choir, Race Relations, Diversity in the U.S., and Art and Music of Africa. Teaching responsibilities will include lower and upper-division courses and multiple course sections in General Education including those offered by other departments. Other responsibilities may include coordinating with and recruiting for the Fresno State/community Gospel Choir.
Required Education: An earned doctorate (Ph.D., D.M.A. or appropriate terminal degree in the field) from an accredited institution in Africana Studies, Ethnomusicology, or closely related field is required. Doctorate must be completed by August 16, 2018.
• The successful candidate must demonstrate a commitment to working effectively with faculty, staff, and students from diverse ethnic, cultural, and socioeconomic backgrounds.
• The successful candidate must demonstrate evidence of scholarly and/or creative activity in Ethnomusicology, or History of African American music and African American voice.
• Demonstrated ability in the practice of music as well as community based projects. These may include but are not limited to, choir direction or conduction, recruitment of singers, community service, community based projects with local churches, ministers of music and choir directors, and an understanding of teacher/education.
• Demonstrated experience and excellence in teaching;
• Teaching/research interests in multiple genres of Black music and the influence of Black musical styles globally.
Application Procedures: For full consideration, applications must be submitted on or before January 30, 2018 (11:59 PST). Review will continue until the position is filled. To apply, please complete an online application at jobs.fresnostate.edu and attach the following: 1) a cover letter specifically addressing required experience and preferred qualifications; 2) a curriculum vitae with a list of three references. Have three current letters of recommendation sent digitally or e-mailed to Dr. Melissa Jordine firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Black Music Search”.
Finalists will be required to submit official transcripts.
For all other inquiries, contact:
Dr. De Anna Reese, Search Committee Chair
California State University, Fresno
Africana Studies Program M/S SB 69,
2555 East San Ramon Ave.,
Fresno, CA 93740-8029
Phone: 559 278 2832
Other: In compliance with the Annual Security Report & Fire Safety Report of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, California State University, Fresno has made crime-reporting statistics available to applicants, students, and employees on-line at http://www.fresnostate.edu/police/clery/index.shtml. Print copies are available by request from the Campus Police Department.
A background check (including criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily for this position. An offer of employment may be withdrawn or employment may be terminated based upon the results of the background investigation.
The person holding this position is considered a "mandated reporter" under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 Revised July 21, 2017 as a condition of employment. You can obtain a copy of this Executive order by accessing the following web site: http://www.calstate.edu/eo/EO-1083.html.
California State University, Fresno is a smoke free campus. For more information, please click http://fresnostate.edu/adminserv/smokefree/index.html
California State University, Fresno is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, or protected veteran status.
Apply online at http://apptrkr.com/1138393
|Primary Category:||African History / Studies
|Secondary Categories:||Music and Music History